Friday, March 19, 2010

The Best Cereals Combination Ever!

Back then in Indonesia, cereal was not into my repertoire. Why should I eat the "light" and costly American breakfast if I can get a plate of Nasi Ayam (chiken rice in coconut gravy) or Nasi Pecel (rice topped with vegetable and peanut sauce) for less than $0.50? Cereals such as Kellog's or similar brands are overrated in my country. People are not used to eat it.

But now, I'm not in Indonesia. True enough that if you are in Rome, act like the Romans; so in America, I do eat cereals--often several times a day (especially when I'm bored haha..) And the best thing is, cereals here often come in a very good price. So you won't feel condemned after you convert the dollar to your country's currency :)

I would be guilty if I don't share the most delicious combination of cereals ever! I bet you'll get hooked too when you try 'em. Here's the perfect combination that works best for me:

1. THE MILK

I've never heard the phrase "lactose intolerant" until I stay in America. There's always a name for everything here, things that sometimes don't exist in my country--if not things that we are unaware of.

I love milk, but I notice that every time I drink a glass of milk, my tummy would growl and become uncomfortable. That's what lactose intolerant is. So, about six weeks ago, I started the journey of finding milk substitute.



I tried Pearl Soy Milk by Kikkoman. They have several varieties from chocolate, coffee, vanilla, etc. And I think the taste is pretty great, especially the chocolate one, however, there's still a hint of soy-ish taste that linger in my tastebud. I thought my search would be over, since soy milk is good enough. Then one day, I stumbled upon Almond Breeze Almond Milk. It's on discount, and I had a $1 coupon. In total, it was only $1.98 for a half gallon cartoon (from $3.99--sweet!). I couldn't wait to try and when I did, OMG! The vanilla variety tastes soooo great! I'm hooked! This would be my choice of milk forever and ever.... It's great on its own, it's also yum with cereal or in a smoothie. Silk Pure Almond Milk is also great, I've got lots and lots of coupons on this product. But without deals, almond milk can be on the expensive side, it's about $ 4 for 1/2 gallon. Maybe one day I should make my own almond milk...


2. THE CEREALS

--KELLOGG'S RAISIN BRAN


Actually, I like Kellogg's Crunch better, but since it's more expensive and both taste relatively the same, so I always buy Raisin Bran. It's basically bran flakes with lost of raisins in between. The brand also boasts high content of fiber. This one goes first into a bowl of almond milk. I let it soaked for 10-15 minutes until mushy and soft. The raisins will soak the milk in and turn plump and juicy.

--KELLOGG'S RICE CRISPIES


It's just unsweetened toasted rice cereal, nothing special about it. But it has the toasty flavor and the crunch that I like. This one goes fifteen minutes after the Raisin Bran rests in the bowl.

--QUAKER OATMEAL SQUARE


Last week it was on sale at Safeway. Ended up buying one box for $1 after discount and coupon. The taste is superb, crunchy with a hint of sweetness and cinnamon twist. You can always eat it as a snack on its own. Beware, you can easily finish one whole box all by yourself! (Yeah, it's that good...) This one goes the last into the bowl, and...enjoy your yummy goodylicious cereal...



Eat it twice a day...

If not enough then three times a day before or after a meal ^^

I guess this is what we call falling in love not at the first sight...

2 comments:

  1. Life cereal from Quaker is good also! Just enough sugar to taste a hint of sweetness, so it's good for you

    ReplyDelete